Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Multi-Type Advisory, Take 3

Secret History of the Pink Carnation
by Lauren Willig

I blogged a short review of this book here. It's taking me forever to get through the book, and I have another third or so to go. I really, really love this book, but between moving to a new house and a month full of speaking gigs at library workshops, I just haven't been reading much. I think it goes well with so many other items that can be found in the library, though, that I wanted to do a multi-type advisory post about it. Here goes:

The Scarlet Pimpernel
Orczy
1903

"The Scarlet Pimpernel is a play and adventure novel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy." If you're lucky enough to be able to get your hands on a copy, this would be an interesting side-read. The Purple Gentian is a main character in Pink Carnation, and he was inspired by the then-retired Scarlet Pimpernel. The Pink Carnation was in turn inspired by the Purple Gentian.

The Scarlet Pimpernel
This was an A&E TV Series in 1999. There are other editions of this show/movie, and I'm sure people have their favorites. I chose the one my library owns.

Madam Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution
Moran
2011

I haven't read this, but it looks good! Madam Tussaud does not make an appearance in Pink Carnation (at least, not in the 2/3s I've read so far...), but she's an interesting character. Pink Carnation is set during the French Revolution and deals with the Reign of Terror, and Madam Tussaud was a victim. There's the connection.


Berlioz - La Marseillaise
La Marseillaise is the French national anthem. It was written by Captain Rouget de L'Isle in 1792. This is also available on a CD called ""La Marseillaise & Other Berlioz Favorites."

Resolute Determination: Napoleon and the French Empire
The Modern Scholar series (CD-Book)
Read by Donald M.G. Sutherland
2009
Published and recorded by Recorded Books
This is a great series of audio books for serious listeners. They're a bit academic, but still often found in public libraries. this one is, obviously, about Napoleon Bonaparte, who is a side character in Pink Carnation.

No comments:

Post a Comment