Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Another Year of Reading



I track all of my reading on Goodreads.com. You can follow along by checking out the GoodReads widget in the sidebar to the right on this blog. Here are some stats from my year of reading.

I read 61 books. I set a goal of 50. The difference this year, over my 41 books read last year, was that I did a better job of logging my books. Even the books I browsed through, like cookbooks and travel guides, were counted this year. Cover-to-cover reads? Still, about 50. I stand by my philosophy that books do not have to be read cover-to-cover to be enjoyed. You still "read" a book even if you skimmed or chose a few chapters here and there. You enjoyed it, you learned something from it, or you spent time with it, and those are all valuable things.

The 61 titles I read consisted of 16,491 pages. That's a weird statistic.

More interestingly, looking at those 61 titles, here are some other facts:
  1. 12 were teen fiction. Favorite of those: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
  2. 23 were non-fiction. Favorite of those: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
  3. 9 were children's books. Favorite of those: City of Orphans by Avi
  4. 9 were mysteries. Favorite of those: Royal Spyness series by Rhys Bowen
  5. 13 were audio books. Favorite of those: American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld
  6. 4 were e-books. Favorite of those: Between by Jessica Warman
  7. 8 were adult fiction. Favorite of those: Room by Emma Donoghue
  8. 10 were historical fiction (including historical mystery and historical youth fiction here). Favorite of those: Blue Asylum by Kathy Hepinstall
  9. Favorite book of the year from total list: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
  10. Finally got around to reading: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
Next year's reading goal: 60 titles

Next year's emphasis: More children's chapter books, and a few graphic novels too

Really, really want to read: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

No comments:

Post a Comment