Pages

Thursday, January 09, 2014

My Year of Reading

Here are the stats for my 2013 year of reading, according to GoodReads:

I read ten fewer books than in 2012. I also counted fewer picture books and browsed non-fiction that wasn't actually "read." My total for 2013 was 54. I had set a goal of 75, so...big fail on that, I guess! I've set a more realistic goal of 50 for 2014.

Favorite books I read in 2013:

Favorite Fiction: Tough call on this category. I liked Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn a lot, I liked Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld a lot, and I liked Love, Anthony by Lisa Genova a lot. Guess I'll go with Sisterland if I have to pick just one.

Favorite Teen Fiction: Divergent by Veronica Roth was awesome, and I can't wait for the movie. Cinder by Marissa Meyer comes in a close second.

 Favorite Non-Fiction: The Spark by Kristine Barnett. This kid is amazing.



Favorite Mystery: The Molly Murphy mysteries by Rhys Bowen. I've only read two, but they're good! A little bit of history, a likeable character, and a good mystery plot. Are they setting my world on fire and changing my life? Um, no. But I enjoy them.


Least Favorites of 2013:

Least Favorite Fiction: Between Sisters by Kristin Hannah.  I just wanted to try something different, but I was just not into it.


I didn't really not like anything else enough to list it. That's good, I guess!


Plans for 2014 reading:

Read more youth chapter books. It's definitely my weakest area of readers advisory!

Browse more non-fiction. Every time I take books off of "new" status, I am reminded how many cool non-fiction books are out there. I can guarantee I won't read most of them cover-to-cover, but I would enjoy flipping through them more often.


2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Holly has read 0 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide
my read shelf:
Holly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

2 comments:

  1. Your post on Sisterland really made me want to read it! I think we have very similar taste, even though I'm a children's librarian. I try to read 10 adult novels a year. Try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sisterland is SOOO good! I like all of Sittenfeld's novels. Let me know what you think if you read it!

    Now, what chapter books should I read this year?

    ReplyDelete