Pages

Tuesday, November 08, 2011

October Reads

The Secret History of the Pink Carnation, one of my September reads, took me so long to get through that I didn't read very many books in October.  Here's October's list:

The Complete Homebrew Beer Book: 200 easy recipes from ales & lagers to extreme beers & international favorites
by George Hummel
2011

Big thanks to one of my co-workers for putting me on the list for this new book!  It's the most complete collection of beer recipes I've seen in any homebrewing book.  My husband has been really into sour beers lately, so he has been looking for different lambic and gueuze recipes.  This book has a recipe on every possible style.  I now have two lambic yeast starters reproducing in my living room.

Eliza's Freedom Road: An Underground Railroad Diary
by Jerdine Nolen
2011

This is an excellent runaway slave story written in the style of her diary.  Read my complete review on the PDL Staff Choices blog.  Highly recommended!

The Knife of Never Letting Go
Chaos Walking, Book One
by Patrick Ness
2008

I listened to the audio version of this title - another recommendation by another co-worker.  I don't know if I'll read/listen to the rest of the series, but it has an interesting premise.  Again, my full review is on the PDL Staff Choices blog.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
by Ransom Riggs
2011

This recommendation came from a librarian at another library.  Her description: "totally creepers", is what made me decide to read it, and that's exactly right.  I'll call it "creeptastic" and recommend it to anyone who likes books about asylums, orphanages, peculiar children, and supernatural powers.  I can't say a whole lot about it without giving the whole thing away, but it includes vintage photographs that go along with the story line.

No comments:

Post a Comment