Pages

Monday, March 30, 2009

CIL 2009

I'm at the Computers in Libraries Conference in Washington, D.C. This is the first time I've attended this conference, and I'm really enjoying it so far! I'll be presenting tomorrow afternoon on the topic of "Embedding Services: Go Where the Client Is." (I'll talk about how SSLDL uses Tablet PCs and an iPod Touch for mobile reference service.)

Here are some highlights from today:

A Super Searcher Shares 25 Search Thoughts by Mary Ellen Bates
Mary Ellen Bates shared a lot of great searching resources! Some new ones to me were:
-Viewzi
-LexiQuo
-The Awesome Highlighter
-World Wide Science
-Newseum

Searching Conversations by Greg Notess
This was an interesting session about finding information by searching "conversations" through web services like Twitter, Facebook, Pipl, and others. The highlights for me were Spokeo, which searches 41 major social networks for people, and the idea of searching Twitter for conversations on a topic.

What's New and Hot: The Best of Resource Shelf by Gary Price
This is the kind of conference session I LOOOOVE! I'm totally stealing some of these resources for my Tech Tools presentation for MLA 2009. I wasn't aware of Resource Shelf, which gives daily updates of web tools and resources, but I'm definitely signing up! All the links are online at http://tinyurl.com/bor2009 for this program.

No comments:

Post a Comment